Listen on: Apple | Google | Spotify
Just Politics celebrates Halloween by confronting some of the scariest elements of our pre-election season: election deniers running for the statewide offices that will oversee future elections; threats of political violence; and the embrace of Christian nationalism by many people. Joan Neal discusses these threats with the Rev. Christian Watkins, who leads NETWORK’s efforts to defend democracy through policymaking and advocacy.
Sister Emily TeKolste peels back the scary resurgence of Christian nationalism by looking at the ugly history of white supremacist political violence in the United States.
And on a happier note, we hear from you! Throughout NETWORK’s Pope Francis Voter Tour, we heard from hundreds of people of faith and goodwill committed to protecting and building up our democracy. This episode includes a roundup of “Pope Francis Voter” testimonials.
You can learn more at these links:
- Read more about the faith-filled push to save democracy this year.
- Here’s FiveThirtyEight’s breakdown of candidates seeking office this year who deny the result of the 2020 U.S. Presidential Election.
- The Brennan Center for Justice is tracking state voting laws .
- In addition to Sister Emily TeKolste’s reflection in this episode, read what she wrote earlier this year about the need to die to white supremacy.
- Read Joan Neal’s reflection on the importance of voting and democracy.
- From U.S. Catholic: “Government for the people needs to be for everyone,” by Meghan J. Clark.
- From our last episode, revisit Sister Erin Zubal’s pre-election prayer.
Just Politics is sponsored by Loyola Press