Jesuit Father James Martin felt called to advocate for LGBTQ Catholics after the Pulse Nightclub shooting in Orlando. In today’s episode Jeannie and Mike talk to Father Jim about the marginalization of LGBTQ Catholics and how Pope Francis and scripture inspire a ministry of accompaniment and inclusion.
Don’t forget to check out the books and articles mentioned in the episode, including:
- Building a Bridge: How the Catholic Church and the LGBT Community Can Enter into a Relationship of Respect, Compassion, and Sensitivity by James Martin, S.J.
- Learning to Pray: A Guide for Everyone by James Martin, S.J.
- “Trans and Catholic: A parent’s perspective” by Deacon Ray Dever
- “5 common questions about LGBT Catholic ministry” (Video) by James Martin, S.J.
- “Can you really hate the sin and love the sinner?” by James Martin, S.J.
- “Catholics must support all workers, regardless of identity” by Deacon Ray Dever
- “Father Martin vs the Anonymous Bishops” by Mike Lewis
- “On the CNA/Martin Affair” by Nathan Turowsky
- “Pope Francis understands Fr. Martin—Do we?” by Rachel Amiri
- “Pope Francis is making space for LGBT people in the church—with limits. And it’s a huge step forward.” by James Martin, S.J.
Field Hospital is supported by the Viatorians.