Advent challenges us to better prepare ourselves for the arrival of Jesus in our world. And this call to transformation resonates especially with the issue of immigration in the United States. Immigration reform has long eluded advocates seeking better policies for how the United States responds to the needs of more than 10 million people in the country without legal status, as well as the many people seeking asylum at the U.S.-Mexico border. Rep. Norma Torres of California discusses H.R. 8433, a bill that would use a small update in current immigration law to create transformative change in the lives of many people. And Sister Tracey Horan, S.P. shares her experiences ministering to people through the Kino Border Initiative.
You can learn more about immigration policy, the Kino Border Initiative, and this episode’s guests in these links.
- Renewing Immigration Provisions of the Immigration Act of 1929
- NETWORK’s support for updating the immigration registry date
- Biography of Rep. Norma Torres
- Kino Border Initiative
- Biography of Sister Tracey Horan, S.P.
- NETWORK’s advocacy against Title 42
Just Politics is sponsored by Loyola Press.