For years, politicians in the United States have invoked the rhetoric of being “pro-family.” But what does that really mean? For justice-seekers, it means policies and policy proposals that would help families to flourish: the Child Tax Credit, the Pregnant Workers Fairness Act, Medicaid expansion, and others. In this episode, we talk to a longtime champion of pro-family policy on Capitol Hill: Rep. Rosa DeLauro. DeLauro, who represents Connecticut’s third congressional district, shares why these policies are so important to her and how her Catholic faith informs her advocacy. Being pro-family also means being pro-woman, and Sister Robbie Pentecost, O.S.F. shares about her encounters with women whose lives are touched and transformed by the New Opportunity School for Women in Berea, Kentucky.
You can learn more about this episode’s guests and pro-family policies in these links:
- The New Opportunity School for Women
- South Dakota passes Medicaid expansion
- The Pregnant Workers Fairness Act
- Rep. Rosa DeLauro’s book on how her Catholic faith informs her policy positions
- Why Congress should pass the fully refundable Child Tax Credit
Just Politics is sponsored by Loyola Press.