Kathryn Joyce is an investigative reporter at Salon, and the author of two books: The Child Catchers: Rescue, Trafficking and the New Gospel of Adoption and Quiverfull: Inside the Christian Patriarchy Movement. Her most recent research centers around the emergence of extremism in the U.S. Catholic Church, including an in-depth article on the influence of QAnon and Trumpism for Vanity Fair in October 2020. In this episode of Field Hospital, Jeannie and Mike talk to Kathryn about how these extreme positions have become mainstream, how the rise of Catholic fundamentalism mirrors what is happening in the rest of U.S. society, and how—and if—we can start moving toward unification and healing.
Don’t forget to check out the books and articles mentioned in the episode, including:
- Quiverfull: Inside the Christian Patriarchy Movement by Kathryn Joyce
- The Child Catchers: Rescue, Trafficking, and the New Gospel of Adoption by Kathryn Joyce
- Red Pill, Blue Pill: How to Counteract the Conspiracy Theories that are Killing Us by David Neiwert
- “Deep state, deep church: How QAnon and Trumpism have infected the Catholic Church” by Kathryn Joyce
- “Pope Francis’ critics are dividing the church and families–including mine” by Mike Lewis
- “A Catholic moral panic, two years on” by Mike Lewis
- “The Redpilled Pope of the Qatholic Church?” by D.W. Lafferty
- “Biblical” by D.W. Lafferty
- “Catholic Media and Critical Thinking” by Mike Lewis
- “The Pope Welcomed Biden. So Why Are US Catholic Bishops Waging a Holy War?” by Kathryn Joyce
Field Hospital is sponsored by the Viatorians.